Brig Chaser/Escort Class Schedule and Requirements
Ref: (a) SECNAVINST 1640.9C of 03 Jan 06
(b) BUPERSINST 1640.22 of 29 Mar 11
(c) MCIEAST-MCB CAMLEJO 1640.9
1. POC: Training Staff, MCIEAST-MCB Regional Brig Camp Lejeune, NC 28542 TEL: 910‑451-7468 or DSN: 751-7468
2. Commands must have qualified escorts to move both pre-trial and post-trial prisoners to and from the Brig. To be qualified, personnel must meet screening criteria, attend a one-day Brig Escort Chaser Class and pass a written proficiency test. Successful completion will result in the issuance of an Escort Identification Card (NAVPERS 1640/18). The certification is good for one year.
3. Brig Escort Chaser Classes are normally scheduled every Friday. Aboard MCB Camp Lejeune classes will be held at the John A. Lejeune Education Center / Stone Street / Room TBD. Reservations are not required nor taken; personnel are accepted on a first-come, first-serve basis until the class is full. MCB Lejeune's classroom max capacity is approximately 90 attendees. The class begins promptly at 0800 and early arrival (NET 0700) is highly encouraged to obtain an available seat. Class duration is 0730-1600. Attendees who show up after the class has begun will be turned away. The scheduled class dates include the following:
MCB Camp Lejeune:
Class is offered every first and third Friday at 8 a.m. at the John A. Lejeune Education Center (Bldg. 825) on Stone Street.
4. With the requirements set forth in SECNAVINST 1640.9C and BUPERSINST 1640.22:
a. Escorts shall be carefully selected for maturity and the ability to handle emergencies.
b. Requesting activities shall provide their own escorts for trial, administrative, legal, and any other appointments for prisoners.
c. In all cases, at least one escort will be of the same gender as the prisoner.
d. When transporting an officer prisoner, at least one escort will be an officer of equal or higher rank than the officer prisoner.
e. Escorts will not be required or authorized to carry batons or other weapons.
f. Maximum and Medium-In (MDI) prisoners must be escorted by at least two escorts. Maximum and Medium-In (MDI) prisoners shall wear restraints at all times while outside the security perimeter of the Brig.
g. A military judge (not a lawyer) may direct that restraints be removed from a prisoner in a courtroom if, in the judge’s opinion, such restraint is not necessary.
5. The following are eligibility requirements for personnel attending MCIEAST-MCB Regional Brig Escort Chaser Class that prospective candidates must be screened for by an E-7 or above from their respective command:
a. Must have at least 15 months of active service.
b. Must be mature, emotionally stable, and able to handle emergencies.
c. Have no neuropsychiatric disorders, or recorded history of alcohol abuse, or in-service drug use.
d. Have no record of conviction by courts-martial or Non-Judicial Punishment in the past 36 months. (Not Waived)
e. Have no record of civil court conviction, (except misdemeanor traffic violations).
f. Have no physical disabilities that may hinder duties.
g. Be within service branch body composition standards, and passed most recent service PRT/PFT.
h. No prior removal/revocation of escort status.
i. Not identified as a witness or victim in a prisoner’s courts-martial related to the escort detail.
j. Not have failed during last two prior attempts to pass the escort written proficiency test.
k. Be at least 19 years of age.
l. Cannot be a former prisoner or detainee. (Not waived)
**** Approved personnel must bring proof of screening to the class. (Required form is available via link “Chaser Screening Form”
****If internet access is not available, the Brig Training Office can send the form by fax. (Call (910) 451-0996 or DSN 751-0996 to request.)
8. All Chaser/Escort students must park in the parking lot of the Work Force Learning Center or the parking lot directly across the street from it.
**** Option for Re-certification may be provided without re-attending the standardized course if all of the following conditions are met:
a. The service member has previously attended the standardized course.
b. Certification is still current (not expired)
c. Standards of conduct and use of force are reviewed and acknowledged
d. The service member successfully completes the written proficiency test again