How do service members file an informal complaint of sexual harassment or discrimination?

We encourage resolution of conflict at the lowest level using the Informal Resolution System (IRS) and the chain of command. You may use the direct approach, neutral third party, or TIR (Training Information Resource) Library to informally resolve your complaint. Military should seek assistance from their Command Equal Opportunity Representative or Marine Corps Base (MCB) Equal Opportunity Advisor. Civilians should seek assistance from their local EEO office.

What if a service member is unable to resolve his/her complaint informally?

If service members are unable to resolve their complaints informally, they may use the formal complaint process to address their concerns. Request Mast, Article 138 (wrongs against a CO), Article 1150 (wrongs against a superior), Inspector General complaint, and communications with Congress constitute a formal EO complaint.

May service members bring matters involving Equal Opportunity to the attention of an Inspector General?

The process explained above is the preferred method of pursuing a complaint of harassment/discrimination; however, you may bring these matters to the attention of an Inspector General's office. We will review complaints involving investigations that were materially flawed, etc.

Is the Informal Resolution Process described above the appropriate process to file a complaint of rape, assault, or other criminal activities?

No. Employees should contact the base PMO, Commanding Officer, or Naval Criminal Investigative Service regarding complaints of this nature.

When does a Marine Corps General intervene in EO/sexual harassment complaints?

• If a military member has attempted to pursue the matter using the appropriate process and the command has not been responsive.
• If the complainant can provide evidence that the EO process is biased or the investigation was improperly conducted.

Where can a service member obtain more information and advice concerning the EO process?

Military should contact the MCB, Camp Lejeune, EO Advisor at (910) 451-5372. Civilians should contact the MCB, Camp Lejeune, EEO Manager at (910) 451-5272.

What is the regulation for speaking a foreign language in the workplace?

In accordance with Departmental Policy CFR 1606.7 entitled “Speaking English Only Rules”:

“A rule requiring employees to speak only English at all times in the workplace is a burdensome term and condition of employment. The primary language of an individual is often an essential national origin characteristic. Prohibiting employees at all times, in the workplace, from speaking their primary language or the language they speak most comfortably, disadvantages an individual’s employment opportunities on the basis of national origin. It may also create an atmosphere of inferiority, isolation and intimidation based on national origin which could result in a discriminatory working environment.”

Thus, an individual may speak their primary language in the workplace when it does not interfere with the operations of the office. We encourage individuals speaking in their primary language to explain to those around them the subject or the conversation, however, we cannot require them to do so. An individual’s right to speak their primary language is protected under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, as amended.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact Eneida Ramirez at (202) 720-6312.