The Cherry Point Tax Center is now OPEN for the 2020 Tax Season. Due to COVID-19 we are limited in the amount of walk-ins we will accept. We ask that you please call and make an appointment. Thank you for your patronage!
What does the Tax Center do?
The Tax Center prepares and e-files federal and state income tax returns, at no charge. The Tax Assistance Center can prepare many different returns. Some common things we handle:
State Tax Refunds (Form 1099-G)
Interest Income (1099-INT) and Dividends (Form 1099-DIV)
Unemployment Benefits (Form 1099-G)
IRA Distributions (Form 1099-R)
Pension Income (Forms 1099-R, RRB-1099-R, RRB-1099)
Sale of Home (Form 1099-S)
Self-Employed Income (Form 1099-MISC, Form 1099-NEC)
This list is not exclusive. If you have questions about whether we can prepare your return, please call at (252) 466-2001 or email at CHPT.LSST.TAX.CENTER.OMB@USMC.MIL
Who is eligible for Tax Center services?
Active duty, reserve, and retired military and their dependents.
Who prepares the returns?
Marines and Sailors who have been trained and certified by the IRS to prepare advanced and military-specific returns.
BEFORE YOUR VISIT
Having all your tax information before coming in for service will help us serve you better. The following checklists will assist you in preparing for your visit to the Tax Center:
To minimize your wait time please fill out the intake sheet, print, and bring with you along with all other tax documents.
Gather your documents.
• W-2s for each job held last year for each person in the household.
• 1099s showing other income (unemployment, social security, state tax refund, gambling winnings, contract work) that is reported to the IRS.
• 1098s showing payments you've made (mortgage interest, school loans, college tuition and fees, property tax).
• Income/Interest statements received for any savings account/investments.
• Bank account numbers: A voided check or direct deposit printout from MyPay showing routing and account numbers for your refund to be deposited by direct deposit.
• Last year's tax return (if you have it).
• Social Security Card(s) *REQUIRED*
Collect information for everyone in your household.
• A valid military or other government-issued ID card.
• Documented Social Security information (a social security card or a letter from the Social Security Administration verifying names and numbers) or ITIN letter for you, your spouse, and all dependents, including children and relatives that you care for.
• Date of birth and relationship of all individuals you intend to include on your return (son, daughter, mother, etc.).
• Current address (it may be different from the address on your employment records).
• Custody/Divorce/Separation agreements, if applicable.
Gather additional items that may help you get a larger refund.
• Childcare expenses: Name, address, Tax ID or Social Security number of the child care provider.
• Business expenses and assets if you're self-employed or have a small business.
• Educator expenses for teaching grades K-12 (school supplies and materials used in the classroom).
• Charitable donations: List of contributions and amounts, receipts for contributions over $250.
• Vehicle records: Sales tax on vehicle purchase, personal property tax statement for each car you own, vehicle log of miles driven for business.
• Renters: Amount of rent paid (for some state returns).
• Retirement/IRA: Retirement account contributions/distributions.
** Note to married taxpayers **If married and filing a joint return, both spouses must be present or the filing party must have a Power of Attorney from their spouse for filing the return. Download Form 2848 *here* or from the IRS website at: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f2848.pdf
When is the Tax Center open?
Services are provided January 25th through April 15th.
The Tax Center will be open to all authorized personnel Monday through Friday, 8 a.m.- 3:30 p.m, by appointment only on Wednesday and Thursday, 5-7 p.m. and limited Saturdays.
* Appointments are subject to availability and can be made by calling (252) 466-2001. *
Where is the Tax Center?
The Tax Center is located in on the second floor of Bldg. 298.
From Roosevelt: Turn on 3d Ave toward Mainside Pool.
From E St.: Turn between IPAC and the Chapel and carry on to the Devil Dog Gym Parking Lot.
Stop by or give us a call at (252) 466-2001.
For additional questions or to set an appointment, call (252) 466-2001.